The palace building and the Hofgarten
became the property of the
newly-founded university in 1818.
At the southern end of the park, an anatomy building was erected.
It has been the seat of the Academic Art Museum since 1884.
Tens of thousands gathered in the Hofgarten
to protest against the "emergency laws" in 1968.
250,000 people demonstrated on the university lawn
against the NATO twin-track decision in 1981.
Until the Federal Government's move to Berlin,
it was frequently a venue for large rallies
on political issues of the day.