The Federal Republic’s first president initially resided in a building in the Viktorshöhe part of Bonn-Bad Godesberg. The Soviet Embassy took over the building in 1975 and added a new structure to the facility.
Konrad Adenauer’s visit to Moscow in 1955 counts as one of the most significant events in the history of the Federal Republic of Germany. Repatriation of the remaining German prisoners of war and civilian internees is widely regarded as a direct result of Adenauer’s visit and of the establishment of diplomatic relations between West Germany and the Soviet Union. Having initially been headquartered at Hotel Groyen in Rolandseck (located south of Bonn), in 1975 the embassy moved into Villa Wendelstadt in Viktorshöhe – where the offices of West Germany’s first President Theodor Heuss were located until 1950.
In 1989, Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev inaugurated the new representative building for the Soviet Embassy. Following the collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War, the building was used as the Russian Embassy, before becoming the General Consulate of Russia in 1999.