Zoological Research Institute and museum Alexander Koenig
© Museum Koenig
Museum Koenig is a renowned natural history museum and research institute. It is
dedicated to the study and documentation of the world's natural biodiversity.
The foundation stone of the museum building was laid in 1912. It was initially a
private initiative of its founder Alexander Koenig. During the First World War, the
shell of the unfinished building was used as a military hospital and it later served as
a barracks for occupying French forces until 1923. When Koenig lost much of his
fortune in Russia and as a result of inflation in 1923, the German Reich assumed
responsibility for the museum and institute . The museum was finally inaugurated in
The museum is currently undergoing renovation and reconstruction work. It is due to reopen in the course of 2003.