|  home |  tour |  historic places |  info |  links |  contact |
11: Museum Koenig
area overview map
The ceremonial opening of the Parliamentary Council was held in the museum atrium on 1 September 1948. The Council's task was to draft the Basic Law.

The research institute and museum were founded by the zoologist Alexander Koenig (1858-1940). The museum was opened in May 1934.

During the early years of the Federal Republic of Germany, the museum was home to several federal authorities. Federal Chancellor Konrad Adenauer moved into the museum for two months following his election on 15 September 1949, before Palais Schaumburg became his official residence. Some Ministries continued to have offices in rooms facing onto Adenauerallee until 1957.


Inaugural address of Karl Arnold (CDU), Minister President of North Rhine-Westphalia, at the ceremonial opening of the Parliamentary Council, 1 September 1948


Zoological Research Institute and museum Alexander Koenig

Opening session of the Parliamentary Council on 1 September 1948 in the atrium

1 September 1998: Ceremony to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Parliamentary Council
Visit the "Path of Democracy" in Bonn's former government district. For more information about guided tours click here.